Pickled Watermelon Rinds
• 4 cups prepared watermelon rind- leave a thin layer of pink on the rind -Cut green outer skin from rind and discard green skin. Cut rind into 1 x 1/2-inch pieces.
• 8 cups water
• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons coarse salt
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
• 8 whole cloves
• 8 whole black peppercorns
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice
• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
This recipe was featured on our Valentines menu as a garnish for our filet mignon, and makes a tasty sweet-tart snack that you won’t want to stop munching.
To prepare rind leave a thin layer of pink on and cut green outer skin from rind. Discard green skin and cut rind into 1 x 1/2-inch pieces.
Over high heat combine water, salt, sugar and spices in a large pot and stir until sugar has dissolved. Once boiling, add watermelon rinds and continue at a low boil for about 5 minutes or until watermelon is slightly tender- but still had some crunch.
Cool liquid then cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
Can be made 2 weeks ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.